Chancellor of the University
Captain Elias Gedney
Registrar (Class Scheduler)
Baroness Gwynnyd of York
University Point Coordinator
Lady Gina Dragon
Pennsic University "Thing" User Support
Contact THL Artemisia Lacebrayder
Greetings unto the scholars and students of the Known World!
We of Pennsic University are looking forward to helping you learn.
There are more than a thousand classes to choose from – peruse the class schedule and prepare to be amazed at the breadth and depth of the knowledge that can be found in our SCA.
Pennsic University is only made possible by the dedication and talents of every one of our hundreds of instructors who volunteer their time and expertise to inspire and teach. Thank you all so much for sharing your SCA with the rest of us!
Visit the University's Facebook page for info and updates about this year's classes!
Pennsic University News
Teacher Registration for Pennsic 48 University classes is now OPEN
Expansion of Bog U, New "Runestone Campus" Class Tents
In addition to the expansion of Bog University in E24, we will have three new class tents (RS1, RS2, RS3) at the bottom of the Runestone Field, on or near block W13 by the shower house.
It is because of you teachers and students that we are expanding, and we want you to know how much we appreciate it!
We are looking for a "Runestone Campus Groundskeeper" to keep an eye on the RS tents, make sure the tents are properly closed at night (and in bad weather), and opened up again in the morning.
If you are camping in that area and would like to help us keep this resource working, please contact Lady Adele (University Point Coordinator) to discuss details and availability.
Thank you for volunteering to share your knowledge and your passion for the arts and sciences with the Pennsic populace!
If you have questions about teaching a class or about the on-line Teacher Registration, contact the Registrar, Baroness Gwynnyd of York. She will be happy to answer any questions, but all requests to teach must be submitted in writing.
At Pennsic - Please come to University Point to register new classes.
On-line class scheduling closes on July 24. After that date, you can still schedule classes by coming to see us at Pennsic, at University Point.
Classes are generally scheduled as they are submitted, so to get the time slots and locations you want, register early!
Classes that were registered by the publication deadline (May 1) will appear in the Pennsic Guide Book.
Classes registered after that date will appear in the on-line schedule, and will be listed in the Pennsic Independent and posted at University Point.
Please log in with the same email and password as last year; all your teacher information should still be there.
You will be asked to update your profile. Please take the time to make sure all your information is up-to-date and correct: date of arrival at Pennsic, Kingdom, Phone, Email, etc.
You will be able to import your classes from last year:
- On your Classes page you will see last year's classes.
- If you click on the "Request for This Year" button, a class form will open up with all the data already filled out (except anything related to date or scheduling).
- Please review the class information, make sure it is current and correct, and then enter your day/time requests and any other special scheduling info.
- Click the "Create Class" button and you are done!
Registered teachers - after arriving at Pennsic
After you arrive at Pennsic, please check in at University Point at your earliest convenience, to let us know you are on-site and ready to teach, and to pick up your teacher tokens.
If your class will be held in a private camp, merchant tent, or other location, please provide University Point with detailed directions to your camp from the Point.
University Point is open Tuesday, July 30 through Friday, August 09 from 9 am to 4:30 pm.
Teachers are not required nor expected to check IDs or ages of anyone attending their classes. We trust that parents will use good judgement in sending their children to appropriate classes; and that the teachers will use good judgement and inform the responsible adult with any youth if material in the class is unsuitable for minors.
Pennsic University Teacher FAQs
|• Do I have to re-register on Thing if I taught last year?
• Can I reuse last year's class information if I want to teach it again?
• Can I request a specific tent or location for my class?
• How can I schedule multiple sessions of a class at different dates and times?
• What if my class doesn't fall under an existing topic?
• Do I really need to check in at University Point before my class?
• Do you really mean "No Limits" when it comes to class size?
• How much can I charge?
• Can the University make copies for me?
• Does the University have teaching equipment?
• Can I use electrical equipment?
• Will I be reimbursed for expenses or receive an honorarium?
• Can I teach a class in my encampment or at my merchant booth? • Can I get extra space in my encampment to teach classes?
|• My class listing has an error
• I need a different slot for my class
• Why didn't I get the number of classes I requested?
• I had trouble using the registration form.
• How should I write my class description?
The University Policies document contains policies on: Merchants and Remuneration, Tent Use, Youths Attending Classes, Professional Standards of Practice, Heat Sources, Class Publication, Attendance and Signup Lists, Tent Furniture, Tent Vehicle Use, and Tent Walls/Weather.
There is no charge to attend any Pennsic classes. Some classes have handout and/or materials fees, but you may audit any class without cost, subject to safety considerations. There are no signup lists permitted for any class. All class materials should be provided in a first come/first serve basis.
Please do not come to "reserve" your place far ahead of your intended class when there is a class in session in the tent. Please use an empty tent to wait.
For help in finding class times and locations, or for directions to classes held at other locations around Pennsic come to University Point – we are located between on St. Lawrence Way in the Pennsic University block.
- Minors are welcome to attend Pennsic University classes, except for those noted as "Adults Only".
- Any minor (under 18) who wishes to attend a University class in a private encampment, a merchant booth, or in Bog University/Runestone Campus tents must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian who stays with them during the class.
- Children under 12 may attend classes in the regular University tents must have a parent or legal guardian within direct eyesight for the duration of the class.
- Children under 12 may attend YouthU and TeenU classes in the University tents unaccompanied.
Pennsic University Class Listings
Pennsic Event Guide
The schedule of classes is listed in the Pennsic Event Guide. However, this book goes to press well before War starts.
Additions, deletions, and changes to classes will be posted each day at University Point and printed in the Pennsic Independent newspaper. You can also use Thing online (look under "Schedules/Changes from Book").
Up-to-date class listings
You can also create an account on Thing to follow the classes you want to take, and create your own personal schedule of classes to print off or view on your mobile device.
Feedback is welcome and appreciated to www.facebook.com/skandragon.
If you have any issues using Thing or any bugs or Kudos you wish to pass on to the developers, then please report them at https://github.com/skandragon/thing.
Pennsic University activities take place in several locations.
- University Square (St. Lily's Commons)
Class tents 1 - 13
- Dragon Trace tents
Class tents 14 - 15
- TumbleHome Square (includes Artisans' Row)
Class tents 16 - 19
- Bog U (block E24, southeast side of the lake)
- Runestone Campus - Three new class tents (RS1, RS2, RS3) near the bottom of the Runestone Hill.
- Dance Pavilion, Games' Tent
- Main Battlefield, Tourney Fields (east side of the Battlefield), Archery Range, Thrown Weapons Range
- College of Performing Arts, Amphitheater
(see map - behind the merchants on the Great Middle Hwy)
- Performing Arts Rehearsal and Classroom Tent - Located by amphitheater (near willow tree)
- Youth Point, Heralds' Point
(by the Playground)
- Middle Eastern Pavilion
(east side of the Great Middle Hwy, on top of the hill)
- Æthelmearc Scribal Pavilion, Private Camps, Merchant Booths: directions available at University Point
We strongly encourage volunteers to become part of the Pennsic University team. Many hands make light(er) work! Please contact The University Point Coordinator
Positions: Five people are needed for each 2 hour shift:
University Point desk staff - 2 per shift, to answer questions and assist students in finding classes.
Pennsic University Ambassadors - 2 per shift, to rove around the University area providing directions, along with some other duties around the University.
University Point Shift Supervisor - 1 per shift, to answer questions and man the database.
All positions will be documented with easy-to-use reference cards, so you don't need any special knowledge, except the knowledge that we will think you are awesome!
Also - We are looking for a "Runestone Campus Groundskeeper" to keep an eye on the RS tents, make sure the tents are properly closed at night (and in bad weather), and opened up again in the morning.
Last Year's Teachers/Classes
- to get in touch with one of last year's teachers
- to get information about a previous year's class, or
- to request that a class be taught again this year
please contact the Registrar or the University Point Coordinator (see top of page) by email or through our Facebook page.