Family & Youth Activities
Family Activities Non-Martial Staff
Welcome! We are excited for your family to join us at Pennsic 48. The Family Activities Staff has worked hard to make sure that our youngest members have plenty of activities and space to enjoy Pennsic. Family Activities has three distinct divisions and locations, to allow members of all ages to enjoy their war. In addition to family activities, Pennsic hosts youth theatre, youth choirs, youth combat, youth fencing, and many activities throughout the war are open to all ages. The age ranges laid out here are suggestions, with the exception of Pennsic supervision rules and specific class age limits for safety reasons. Every child is different, which is why we have overlapped our age suggestions. Some 10 year olds may be comfortable in older youth oriented classes, while others may prefer the activities designed for slightly younger students.
Famiy Point has programming focused mainly for children under the age of 10.
- Family Point, located at the playground in the second tent from the road, is targeted towards gentles aged 3-9 and their caregivers, and is open each day from 9-12 pm and 1-4 pm with scheduled classes and activities. In addition to classes, there is a quiet space for coloring/art for those who may need a break from the playground or busy bustle of Pennsic.
- Activities will be published in the Pennsic University schedule and on the board at Family Point.
- Classes/Activities at Family Point are generally scheduled between 9:00 am - noon and 1 - 4 pm, although some classes may run past 4 pm, and some may start after 4 pm.
- If you have specific questions on an activity, check with the staff at the activity location.
Pennsic YouthU & TeenU
YouthU is a series of classes run through Pennsic University aimed specifically at those ages 10-13.
Youth University Coordinator - Viscountess Sefa Hrafnsdottir, OP
TeenU is a series of classes run through Pennsic University aimed specifically at those ages 14-17.
Teen University Coordinator - THL Ceara inghean Mhuirgheasa
- Pennsic YouthU and TeenU classes take place in the Pennsic University tents
- Any class changes will be posted at University Point, on Thing.PennsicUniversity.org throughout the week and in the Pennsic Independent.
- The age guidelines for these classes are set by the individual instructors. Please observe these and consider the needs and abilities of your individual child.
New this year, we will have a small gated and shaded space where caregivers of 0-2 year olds can gather and allow their little ones to play safely while taking a break or watching an older sibling play. This space will also feature age-specific meet-ups and discussions on parenting in the SCA. It is located between the two tents at the family point space at the playground.
This year, we are expanding our offerings and space in order to focus in on providing more classes specific to our different age groups. Youth University, located in the outer tent at Family Point/the playground, will host classes aimed at 9-14 year olds. This space will allow for parents to support multiple children, give 10-12 year olds some freedom, and double our available class offering. At night, this tent will be transformed into our Teen/Tween Lounge.
Teen University will be again located in A&S 6, on the campus of Pennsic University. In its third year, this track of classes is a chance for older teens and youth to try out a variety of classes on history, hands-on skills, and SCA culture. The only classes Pennsic University classes that are off limits to those under 18 are classes that are clearly marked as such, usually because they involve alcohol, mature topics, or are in private camps. Youth are welcome at all other Pennsic University classes. However, many gentles between the ages of 14-17 prefer a learning environment of their peers, and/or a lower stress or lower entry level opportunity to learn. These classes are geared towards older youth, and are often the exact same class as the instructor teaches in the regular university.
After 6pm, the Youth University tent is transformed into a Teen/Tween lounge. Those gentles 10 and up may come enjoy our snacks, electricity for charging devices, and the company of those of a similar age. Some nights will have specific themes, while others will just be open hangout nights. These nights will be supervised by a background checked youth officer as well as a second adult. As in all spaces, bullying and harassment will not be tolerated. Check the Family Activities schedule for more details.
Known World Arts & Sciences Display and Youth Arts & Sciences Display Sunday, August 4, 2019 1:00 - 5:00 pm
The Youth Arts & Sciences Display will take place in the Great Hall at the same time as the general display.
It will be in a designated area near the entrance of the Hall. Artisans may set up between 11:30 am - 1 pm.
• Before Pennsic: Register online with the A&S Display Form. Please note the word Youth in the notes section.
• At Pennsic: Come to University Point before 3:00 pm Saturday Aug 3; there will be a Youth A&S Display sign-up sheet.
• Documentation sheets will be available at University Point and at the sign-in table during the display.
Rules Concerning Minors
Please read the complete Site Rules concerning minors. These are also included in the Pennsic Event Guide which you will receive when you check in.
Schedule of Family Activities
The Family Activities Schedule lists activities for Family Point, plus Youth/Family activities in the Arts, Martial Activities (Youth Combat, Fencing, and Archery) and special events such as the Children's Fete & the Water Battle at the Fort.
Also see Family Activities PDF
Also see the Pennsic University schedule for youth/family oriented classes.
When you are at Pennsic, check for updates to Family activities at Family Point, Info Point, the Town Crier notice boards, and the daily paper.